Bragging Rights!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bragging Rights!

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it”

iMovie for iPhone 4

MacUser4ever
    MacUser4ever
    Admin

iMovie for iPhone 4 Empty iMovie for iPhone 4

Post  MacUser4ever Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:49 am

The iPhone 4 does video, and it does video decently. In our recent review, we noted that an HD Flip camera still seems to offer better results in some areas, but that likely won't matter to the millions of people who already own iPhone 4s.

One of the main draws of the iPhone over other video-capable devices is its ability to edit and process video on the same device before uploading it to the Internet—you sure can't do that on a Flip. Apple introduced iMovie for iPhone—a $4.99 download from the App Store—for this purpose, so we gave it a spin.

When you first start a project in iMovie, you're prompted to select a theme. These are all very basic, and they influence what the titles look like and the type of transitions that will be used (though you can change the transitions to whatever you want). After choosing a theme, you can start inserting photos or movies that are stored on your iPhone, or begin recording them right from within the app:

iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_theme iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_addmedia

Once you add as many video clips and photos as you'd like, you can cut them down to the desired length (or in the case of photos, expand the amount of time they're shown) by tapping on the clip in the timeline and dragging the yellow lines:

iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_editclips

As you can see from the above screenshot, you can also pinch and zoom photos if you want them to frame differently than the default.

If you want to alter the transitions, tap on a transition icon (the arrows pointing in towards each other that display between your clips in the timeline). You don't get many choices here and are limited to using the standard cross dissolve or the transition that comes with the theme you chose. You can, however, change the length of a transition.

iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_transition

In order to edit the title and location being shown at the beginning of your movie, you must go to the first clip and double tap on it to bring up the options. iMovie will attempt to auto-detect where the video was shot, but in some cases, you might want to be more (or less) specific.

My video was shot out on my back deck in a neighborhood called Bucktown in Chicago, but iMovie decided that it had instead been shot on Navy Pier. Those aren't exactly nearby (they're not even close), so I changed the location manually:

iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_title iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_location

Finally, you can add your own music to an iMovie project based on what you have stored on your iPhone. By tapping on the Audio tab, you can sort through your music offerings and the app will tell you which ones are DRMed (can't be used) and ones that are available to use.

Once you add a song to your timeline, it will show up underneath your video/photo clips as a green bar; once you do this, the default setting is to turn off the audio on any embedded clips so that the music can play.

iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_audio iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_audio2

When you're done, you can export your project to a video that will be stored on your iPhone's camera roll. The three options are medium, large, and HD resolutions, and the only reason we can recommend for saving in anything less than HD (720p) is if you are concerned about saving local storage space on your phone. (If you upload to YouTube or MobileMe directly from the phone, the upload quality will be less than 720p anyway. If you want to upload in full resolution, you must first transfer your video to a computer and then put it online.)

iMovie for iPhone 4 Imovie_export

When you upload a video to YouTube with music attached, YouTube will automatically analyze it and identify the music if it's in the ContentID database. I got a warning that my 52 seconds of audio was copyrighted by Sony and, as such, ads might appear beside my video (phew, at least I'm not being sued!).

However, because of the music, The video was also blocked... in Germany... so uploader beware:

Source: http://arstechnica.com

Very Happy

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm